I am almost 11 weeks pregnant (will be 11 on Friday) and am due September 23. We told our parents on Valentine's day and it has been trickling to family and friends since then. Today, however, I told my students. I delayed for a couple of reasons, mainly the possibility of miscarriages. This rate goes down significantly after the heartbeat is seen; we saw it at the 8 week ultrasound. Also, in science we're studying reproduction. We don't discuss how the egg gets fertilized but we do talk about a sperm fertilizing an egg and then it's a zygote, then an embryo, and then a fetus. So today during our discussion I asked, "What would it mean if I had a fetus in me?" A silence followed... then one little girl waved and wiggled almost out of her seat saying, "I KNOW!" so I asked her what it meant and she said, "That you're pregnant!"
Correct she was! This receiving an applause from my entire class :-) Cute kids. Later a student told me my face got really red while they were clapping!
This announcement was followed by a 10 minute Q & A as well as some sound advice. Here were some of the things they asked or said:
- Do you know you're not supposed to drink while you're pregnant?
- Would you like a natural birth or a C-section?
- Will you name him after me if it's a boy?
- "How long have you known?" "about 7 weeks" "You kept this from us for 7 weeks!?" To which I explained a bit of the chances of miscarriage and that I wanted to wait a while. They forgave me.
- I can make great baby blankets, maybe I'll make your baby one.
- My mom craved whoopers while she was pregnant.
- Tell your husband you're going to have mood swings and he's going to wonder how this happened! (I particularly liked this one!)
- Can I tell my parents?
So it's in the open now. No one in my ward knew before today, but I have some students in my ward so now their parents will know. All is going well. I don't have morning sickness-Thank goodness! I've been blessed to not be sick because I have no idea how I could teach if I needed to throw up!
Yay!!!I'm so super excited for you, Little baby Stanger is going to be a cutie! Loved the advice that your students gave you...make sure you remember not to drink!
ReplyDeleteSo exciting. I love the questions your class had. So cute ;)
ReplyDelete